I put him on the scale today and he was 7 pounds, 6 ounces- a gain of 1 1/2 ounces in a week. Not good. But, my other boys never gained, so at least it was some improvement. Either way, the doctor wants to start supplementing... this is the story of my life. So, I had my first big post partum meltdown. It was not pretty. Just ask my mom who had to hear me sob like a big loser on the phone. But, 2 route 44 Sonic drinks later I'm feeling better. Stevan is so supportive and looking forward to feeding our a baby out of a bottle. I will continue to give him breastmilk as much as possible. Hopefully we can just get a little fat on his skinny chicken legs and be good. I'm much better now, really I am. I just emotionally invested a ton of energy and time in trying to get a better milk supply... and I do have more milk, it's just not the rich, fat kind of milk that will put weight on my little boy.
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
My Little Boy
I put him on the scale today and he was 7 pounds, 6 ounces- a gain of 1 1/2 ounces in a week. Not good. But, my other boys never gained, so at least it was some improvement. Either way, the doctor wants to start supplementing... this is the story of my life. So, I had my first big post partum meltdown. It was not pretty. Just ask my mom who had to hear me sob like a big loser on the phone. But, 2 route 44 Sonic drinks later I'm feeling better. Stevan is so supportive and looking forward to feeding our a baby out of a bottle. I will continue to give him breastmilk as much as possible. Hopefully we can just get a little fat on his skinny chicken legs and be good. I'm much better now, really I am. I just emotionally invested a ton of energy and time in trying to get a better milk supply... and I do have more milk, it's just not the rich, fat kind of milk that will put weight on my little boy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




14 comments:
Oh Jenny. I am so sorry to hear about your frustrations. Breastfeeding is hard and discouraging when it isn't enough. Been there with Drew and I had a meltdown with my mom, too. I am searching for the right words to encourage you and help you feel better. Nothing beats Sonic!
you've done such a wonderful job with all of your boys - one of the lactation consultants we saw just said do what you can, and that's better than most. and you are doing so much more and going above and beyond what most would do! congratulations on a job well done, jenny. your newest boy is beautiful.
A litle breastmilk is better than none, at least that is what my lactation always said. I had to stop with Lilly, after getting mastitis 3 times(we had just got her home from her 3 month hospital stay). I felt like a complete failure, esp. having a preemie. This is what a mom is suppose to do, that is why God has given us milkers, but God has other plans for us. You are doing an awesome job, and maybe now Steve can be on night duty..ha We love ya'll!!
I know you were hoping for better news ... I'm sorry you didn't get it.
That little guy could not be cuter. I adore his thumb-sucking. I'm determined to make our next one a thumb-sucker like Lila so I may send her over for some Brenner lessons.
He may be skinny, but he sure is cute! I think you are an awesome mom who is doing the best thing for her little man... do what you've got to do, girl and don't worry about a thing. I'm sure he'll grow up to hold his own with his 2 big brothers! :)
Jenny, I am so sorry. I know how badly you were hoping the outcome would be totally different at the doctor's office today. You are doing a great job! You have not failed!!
Your friends are so supportive and right! You already heard my opinion and your were not in a "complete melt down state" -- just disappointed.
You are a great mom and supplementing is not an indication of failure. It just gives dad (and Nanny when she is there) an opportunity to take a turn while you sleep. :-)
Jenny, hang in there...it will get better! I would work so hard to nurse Mark and then he would immediately throw it all up!
I am glad I am not the only one that has the occasional meltdown
I had the same problem with Abby. It was so incredibly frustrating...and she was 9 lbs. I had several big melt downs. I do remember taking a vitamin supplement that was supposed to increase milk production; I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. It did seem to help. It was either an herb or vitamin. I know some people are hesitant about herbs and vitamins while pregnant or nursing, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. You are doing a tremendous job! Hang in there!
I had a meltdown after we brought Kaitlyn home from the hospital. She was already stuck in that "tanning bed" for hours due to jaundice and then she wasn't breastfeeding very good.
I completly lost it when my mother in law took a tiny bottle of water (or something weird) and Kaitlyn practically inhaled it. I was devistated. Finally Kaitlyn decided to work with me and it all worked out.
Don't give up - you are doing great! Hopefully it is a comfort to know you have so many people supporting you.
Oh Jenny, been there done that three times, too, including the accompanying meltdowns. I completely understand the whole breastfeeding/supplementing thing & how hard that is, especially in the early postpartum days. If you ever need to vent your frustrations with someone who's walked in those same shoes before, I'm available.:) He sure is a cutie, by the way!
Jenny, I'm just looking into your bloggy world and I adore your new little boy. He is beautiful!! From everything you've said, you are doing a fabulous job and have gone above and beyond in trying to give your baby mommy milk. I agree, do what you've got to do to keep him healthy and gaining, keep nursing as much as you can; such a sweet time with your baby, isn't it? Because you are an incredible mother with or without breastfeeding, this tiny new prince will be just fine, covered in love, and healthy in every way. You are doing a great job Jenny! God bless you.
So sorry, Jenny! You are a great mommy!
Post a Comment