Once we got fluids going my doctor popped by. Since everything took longer to get started he wasn't able to break my water and get the epidural going. I was 3cm and 50% effaced. The baby was so high that my doctor did a sono to make sure he was head down. My heart was pounding at the thought the baby turned breach. But, all was good. So we spent the morning trying to get some good contractions going and get into a steady pattern. During this time my family and friends visited and hung out in the waiting room. I spent a lot of time listening to my ipod and chit-chatting. Steve slipped out for a bit to get breakfast at IHOP with his family and the boys.
The boys stopped by for a few minutes to say hi. They had taken a sibling class and toured a delivery room the month before, so they kind of knew what to expect. I hid my IV arm under the sheets so I wouldn't scare them. But, they enjoyed seeing all my bracelets. It was a quick visit, but fun to see them. See the cute shirts Kim made them?
While the boys were having fun in the waiting room, I was getting my first epidural. It was 11:30 and I thought we were smooth sailing from then on.
My doctor stopped by at 12:30 and broke my water. I was 4 1/2 cm and 70% effaced and baby was still very high. Sometime after getting my epidural I realized it didn't quite take. My right side was unaffected and every contraction started feeling worse and worse. Eventually my left side was feeling as much pain and I realized that my epidural was no good. I can't quite describe to you the horrible, intense pain. And I'm guessing only those who have chosen natural childbirth would understand. At this point no more friends popped in and just my mom (pictured), Shereda, Emily, and Steve were in the room. No amount of crying, moaning, hyperventilating, or cussing took away the pain. And knowing that just 2 minutes after enduring a contraction I was going to be getting another one was almost more than I could handle. Now, I had requested another epidural, but there were 2 others ahead of me and I had to wait. It was not a fun wait.
Finally at just past 2:00 I got a second epidural. He had to completely start over from scratch. It was difficult trying to remain so still during the contractions so he could get the epidural in my spine. But I've never been more thankful to get it done. I begged for the highest dosage possible. And I'm not kidding when I say "begged." At this point I was 7 cm and 70%. So after my second epidural life got much better. Each contraction got easier and I finally relaxed. Steve and I got a kick out of the pink and blue bands at the baby warmer. Of course Steve knew the answer, but he continued to play along as if he didn't know! It was so fun for the staff as well. Rarely do they have a patient who doesn't know the gender. You could start to feel the excitement in the air as delivery was immanent. Not long after getting really comfortable I asked to be checked. I was ready to push. So, Emily ran down to the waiting room to tell everyone it was almost time!
Here's my goofball friends (Kim, Michelle, Sunni, Lori, and Amy) giving a "10" for 10 cm. See, I think I missed out on the real party!
2 contractions and 6 pushes later Brenner Oz James was born at 3:12pm. Just like in the movies, the doctor announced "It's a BOY!" and there were cheers throughout the room. Looking back I don't even remember what I said or thought. Luckily, Emily has the whole thing on tape. So, for all of you wanting to know my reaction:
Dr. O announced "It's a BOY!" and I laughed and repeated him to everyone saying, "It's a BOY!" Of course my heart was overflowing and beyond thrilled to have a healthy, screaming boy. Steve cut the cord and next thing I know Brenner is inches from my face laying on my chest. Such an overwhelmingly amazing moment. I didn't hear or see anything else at that point. Just him.
Brenner was weighed, measured, and fully assessed. Meanwhile the people (most importantly the big brothers) were in the waiting room anxiously anticipating the big announcement.
To be continued...




8 comments:
What a beautiful, perfect little boy. I'm so happy for your sweet, sweet family!
Congrats jenny. I am so happy for you and your family!! He is so beautiful, I can't wait to meet him!!
I love that whole story. I am so glad I was able to be there. It was truly a miraculous day. What a great post and what a perfect baby boy!
Way to go Jenny, I had 2 natural...i know the pain, but glad that the second one worked..it is amazing how as the years go by we forget the pain!!!
Glad you joined the 3 boys club!!!
Blessings
So, so happy for you all!! Thankful you have such great family and friends around you. Brenner is adorable!
Thank you for the details and pictures. I know it takes a lot of time to put that all together. I wish I could have been there but look forward to snuggling & caretaking soon. I love the Stevan picture of him holding the blue & girl bracelets...what a fun surprise. You've got some good stories and experiences now...you should write a book! You can probably count on one hand the amount of times you pushed for all 3 kidos, huh?!? Congratulations on your third miracle! Oh, and he does look so tiny...even if he's not the runt-:)
I'm so impressed that you are already blogging the whole experience! I love hearing the details & can't wait to meet Brenner!!
That made me cry. What a special day!
Post a Comment